Monday, November 17, 2014

Spanish Before Class

Currently there are two things more than anything else that bother me when I'm teaching: students speaking English and being distracted my cellphones in class.  I actually would like to get to the point where I can integrate cellphones more into my class (example www.polleverywhere.com), but I have not gotten there yet.

Keeping It In Spanish: When students begin coming into class, they often begin talking to each other in English.  I like to have music, videos or something else playing for my students to help them make that transition from English to Spanish.  (I have also seen that it gets students excited for class, and in some cases helps them to arrive on time.)

I have been making a list of things I show to my students before class begins.  I keep the list handy so that it does not take a lot of time to prep before class.  Here are some of those items:

Songs With Good Music Videos:
Commercials:

Videos:
*These videos use a mixture of Spanglish and nonsense words.  Many teachers would argue, and they were be exactly right, that these videos are poor Spanish models.  However, I feel that they help students to laugh, which in turn helps them to enjoy my classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment